I LOVE potato salad and always enjoy finding new ways to enjoy it. SO, when faced with making a meal for a family where one person is allergic to potatoes, one is allergic to dairy and gluten intolerant, I decided to search out a new way to make potato salad. I once had sampled a salad with three potatoes, including sweet potatoes and recently watch Trisha Yearwood make a sweet potato salad, so I decided to come up with my own version. They LOVED it. The important thing is to NOT overcook the sweet potatoes, otherwise, it will be mushy. Also, completely cool them AND be GENTLE when adding the dressing!
SWEET POTATO SALAD*
- 4 large sweet potatoes Peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 slices Thick Applewood Smoked Bacon Sliced
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Dill Pickles
- 2 Tbsp chopped Bread and Butter Pickles
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Tbsp Fresh Dill
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh chives
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper Optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes and put them in a large pot. Cover with water, bring to a boil and boil about 5 minutes (Set a timer because they can get too mushy fast). Drain, rinse with plenty of cold water. Add the celery and pickles (do not mix) and set aside to cool. Cut the bacon into small slices and fry until crispy. Drain on a paper towel. Reserve about a tablespoon of the bacon drippings for the mayo mixture. Sprinkle over the cooling potatoes. In a Small mason jar or a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, chives, dill, apple cider vinegar, Cayenne Pepper and bacon drippings. Pour over the cooled potatoes, celery, pickles and GENTLY toss until the potatoes are fully coated. Add salt and pepper to taste. Best served chilled.